We know employers/businesses needing to check driver records want this information instantly. So, earlier this year our Access to Driver Data (ADD) service went live and was offered to organisations.
The benefits of using ADD
Users of our Electronic Driver Entitlement Checking Service (EDECS) asked us to provide them with data in real time so this is what we’ve done - ADD also provides:
- real time driving licence data 24 hours a day 7 days a week
- responses to single requests giving accurate driver data immediately (with EDECS it can sometimes take up to 12 hours)
- more driver records available to view
- simplified responses – if no driver information is available you’ll only get a message to say the driver licence number has not been found or that the enquiry is not available - this doesn’t impact the service you receive
- all the driving licence details you need - just as they are in EDECS
Supporting and maintaining this new service is significantly cheaper than running EDECS - so, from April 1 2016 we’ll be reducing the cost charged, per enquiry, by 40%. We’ll also review the charges for this service again next year. The service costs approximately £20,000 and covers all deployment and installation costs. There is also an annual line rental cost of approximately £6,000 per annum – the initial cost (approximately £20,000) includes the first years line rental.
This supports our goal to increase efficiency and cut fees whenever possible and, to be simpler, better, and safer.
ADD will replace our EDECS service in March 2016
If you’re an EDECS user and you still want access to driver data you’ll need to start using ADD from April 1 2016 - we can move existing EDECS customers over to the new service for no charge.
Understanding user needs
It’s been crucial that we understand user needs and I really appreciate the feedback I’ve received from our EDECS customers. We’ll continue to take into account the feedback we receive when considering future improvements to the service.
If you’d like any more information on this service or if you’re an EDECS user and have questions about this change please email ServiceEnquiries@dvla.gsi.gov.uk or post a comment below.