Skip to main content

Motor traders: do you use our online service to tell DVLA you’ve sold a vehicle?

Posted by: , Posted on: - Categories: DVLA Digital Services, Vehicle management online services

No? Then read on to find out why you’re missing out!

The free online service to tell DVLA you’ve sold, transferred or bought a vehicle has been available since 2015, and has many benefits for you and your customers.

The vast majority of feedback we’ve had from current users in the motor trade is that the online service is quick and simple to use. Whether you run a business with a small turnover or you’re part of a UK trade network, our online service will save you time. You don’t need to register or pay to use the service and it’s available 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week.

Still not convinced? There are even more benefits which you could be making the most of. These include improved customer service, no paperwork to send to DVLA which means no mailing costs, and as our records update immediately we have accurate details from the point of transfer.

With the previous vehicle keeper’s consent, you as a motor trader can quickly and easily tell us about a sale. When you tell us online, our records update immediately and the previous keeper can get confirmation by email that they’re no longer the keeper. At the same time, we’ll automatically send a refund of remaining vehicle tax to the previous keeper and cancel any direct debit.

If a previous keeper has asked you to tell us that you've received a vehicle, for example as a part exchange, it’s important to:

  • tell us online straight away – this way you don’t need to post the documents to us
  • protect your customers from fraud – the V5C’s document reference number is the key to using our services online and, like a credit card number, shouldn’t be shared, copied or photographed

So if you haven’t already, start using the service today.

Follow DVLA on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn and subscribe to our Inside DVLA blog.

Sharing and comments

Share this page


  1. Comment by Malcolm Duncan posted on

    So does this do away with the yellow slip?

  2. Comment by D Potts posted on

    So how does someone selling a motor allow a purchaser to test drive the selling motor on the road with no current tax on the motor

    • Replies to D Potts>

      Comment by Kelly posted on

      If you are a motor trader you can use Trade Plates to allow a test drive of the vehicle, its accessories or equipment. When you hand it over, or deliver it, to a purchaser, they will need to tax it.

      If it is a private sale the rules have not changed. As you know every vehicle registered in the UK must be taxed if used or kept on a public road. If you want to demonstrate that your vehicle is roadworthy on a public road you need to tax the vehicle. When you tell us you have sold it, you will get a refund for any unexpired months left to run.